From time to time, we’ll be taking a step back to revisit some of our more interesting “Marketing Today” conversations. In this podcast, we hear from Steven Handmaker, CMO for Assurance, one of the largest independent insurance brokerages in the U.S.
Handmaker provides interesting and insightful takes on company culture, technology, and talent. And for him, culture is paramount: “It’s all about engaged employees,” he says. He believes engaged employees are immersed and understand their roles, and, more importantly, they understand how their roles lead to company success.
An avowed Bruce Springsteen fan (he quotes him on his LinkedIn page, after all), he brings a little bit of rock and roll to Assurance, too.
“We do have a certain vibe here,” says Handmaker. ”It’s a bit of a modern, pop culture, rock star-oriented vibe, which isn’t normal for insurance, but that’s how we do it.” He goes on to add, “We behave that way, we look that way…and it’s just an energetic thing that happens here.”
Maybe, just maybe, The Boss would like working at Assurance.
Highlights from this week’s “Marketing Today” podcast include:
- The CMO and company culture. (1:36)
- Handmaker’s take on marketing focus: “One eye in the house, one eye out of the house.” (5:41)
- Handmaker discusses the state of B2B marketing: “It’s about the buyer’s journey.” (6:51)
- The role of technology and Handmaker’s approach: “The world isn’t spinning backwards.” (10:55)
- Team building: “Talent’s the never-ending challenge.” (16:22)
- The future of marketing: “It’s freaky, and it’s scary out there.” (23:28)