Katie Krum started her career at PURE in 2006 as the sixth employee at the insurance start-up. She played a significant role in shaping the brand, and throughout this process, she discovered her passion for marketing. Katie eventually left to develop her skill set at Nickelodeon, Marriott, Under Armour, and Weber Shandwick. She now leads a “small but mighty team” as the CMO at PURE, where she oversees all aspects of marketing communications and PR. One of the driving factors that drew her back to PURE was her incredible boss and her determination to explore innovative approaches to generate interest in insurance. She firmly believes in the power of collaboration, as she sees teams achieve more together than as individuals.
In this episode, Alan and Katie discuss the challenges involved in transitioning PURE from a company to a brand tailored specifically for high-net-worth families. Katie highlights the significant impact that service experiences have on driving progress. Katie’s expertise from other industries is instrumental in bringing attention to PURE’s distinctive “membership model” that sets them apart. Despite boasting a strong membership base with high renewal rates and an impressive net promoter score, consumer research revealed a lack of understanding of what PURE is all about to prospects and what they do for their members. This led to the launch of the “Join the Club” campaign, the development of a mobile-first brand book, and the redefinition of “excellent service.” As a first-time CMO, Katie infuses the insurance industry, which typically lacks excitement, with her enthusiasm and fresh perspective. She actively spearheads transformative changes and anticipates significant shifts in marketing team structure, performance evaluation, and the utilization of AI.
In this episode, you’ll learn:
- Why Katie returned to PURE
- What sets PURE apart in the insurance industry
- The benefits of having marketing communications and PR handled by one team
- [01:25] Katie’s dearest dad
- [05:00] Starting at PURE, leaving and learning, then coming back
- [10:15] Why did she come back to insurance?
- [12:30] What does PURE do?
- [15:15] How is Katie building the brand?
- [18:05] Research and ideation inform the plan.
- [19:10] The history of insurance and what makes it PURE
- [21:10] Benefits of blending marketing and PR into one team
- [25:10] First-time CMO excitement
- [26:00] Marketing is a team sport where we embrace crazy ideas.
- [28:50] Pat yourself on the back and be the one that shows up.
- [31:20] 3 important topics
- [33:45] State and brands to watch
- [36:45] The importance of post-pandemic reconnection
Thank you to our sponsor:
PartnerHero: to waive set-up fees, go to https://www.partnerhero.com/marketingtoday and mention “Marketing Today” during onboarding!
- Katie Krum
- PURE Insurance
- Previous career stops: Nickelodeon, Marriott, Under Armour, Weber Shandwick
- Ross Buchmueller, CEO at PURE
- Join the Club Campaign
- Andrea Brimmer at Ally Financial on Marketing Today
- Brands mentioned: New Jersey (the state of), TurboTax
Follow the podcast:
- Listen on iTunes (link: http://apple.co/2dbdAhV)
- Listen on Google Podcasts (link: http://bit.ly/2Rc2kVa)
- Listen on Spotify (Link: http://spoti.fi/2mCUGnC)
Connect with the Guest:
Connect with Marketing Today and Alan Hart:
- Twitter Alan B Hart - http://twitter.com/abhart
- LinkedIn Alan - https://www.linkedin.com/in/alanhart
- Twitter Marketing Today - http://twitter.com/themktgtoday
- Facebook Marketing Today - https://www.facebook.com/themktgtoday/
- LinkedIn Marketing Today - https://www.linkedin.com/company/marketing-today-with-alan-hart/