Norm Yustin spent the first part of his career as a marketing executive. However, after a particularly impactful recruiting experience and some encouragement from friends and family he made the move into leadership recruitment himself. Norm is widely published on the future of tech-enabled, go-to-market leadership and he brings a unique perspective of developing self-awareness in pursuit of your passion.
In this episode, Alan and Norm discuss why CMOs need to be the most dynamic players in the C-suit, the danger of hyper-specialized teams and why risking leadership changes may be the right thing to do, and where the next-gen CMOs are coming from.
In this episode, you’ll learn:
- The state of the CMO role today
- What should job seekers need to know from a recruiter’s perspective
- What aspiring CMOs should be thinking about in terms of skill development
- [03:30] Norms transition from being an executive to recruiting executives
- [07:17] How losing out on a job shaped the way Norm thinks about recruitment now
- [11:05] What does it mean to be a CMO today?
- [14:00] Evaluating if a job is a right fit for you or if you just covet the role
- [16:20] Why marketers tend to job hop more frequently
- [18:30] Psychosomatic look into CMOs
- [19:40] The obsession with Growth Titles and what it tells us about the state of change
- [22:00] What to take away from the Trends of engineers turned markers
- [23:30] Why are 80% of CMOs external hires?
- [27:40] Wavemaker vs Waveriders
- [31:40] Norm’s thoughts on the CMO to CEO trend
- [37:05] How traveling shape Norms worldview and leadership style
- [40:45] Norm’s advice to his younger self
- [43:50] The everchanging quest of understanding consumers
- [47:00] Positioning yourself as a “Customer-centric tech-enabled leader”
Thank you to our sponsor:
If you are struggling with projects, sign up for Basecamp. Their pricing is simple and they give you ALL their features in a single plan. No upsells. No upgrades. Go to basecamp.com/marketingtoday and try Basecamp for free. No credit card required and cancel anytime. Thank you, Basecamp for sponsoring this episode!
- Norm Yustin
- Russell Reynolds Associates
- Norm at Russell Reynolds and writings
- Aligning Tech & Digital & Customer Roles post-pandemic (Russell Reynolds)
Follow the podcast:
- Listen in iTunes (link: http://apple.co/2dbdAhV)
- Listen in Google Podcasts (link: http://bit.ly/2Rc2kVa)
- Listen in Spotify (Link: http://spoti.fi/2mCUGnC)
Connect with the Guest:
Connect with Marketing Today and Alan Hart:
- Twitter Alan B Hart - http://twitter.com/abhart
- LinkedIn Alan - https://www.linkedin.com/in/alanhart
- Twitter Marketing Today - http://twitter.com/themktgtoday
- Facebook Marketing Today - https://www.facebook.com/themktgtoday/
- LinkedIn Marketing Today - https://www.linkedin.com/company/marketing-today-with-alan-hart/