In this episode of “Marketing Today,” Alan interviews Russell Barnett, the CMO for My/Mo Mochi Ice Cream. This discussion with Barnett is a great opportunity to learn more about challenger brands, strategies in how to lead challenger brands, and how they approach the brand building process.
“A brand is very human. As someone who takes on the mantle of a brand, you sort of have to allow that humanity to come through,” Barnett adds. Beyond My/Mo Mochi Ice Cream, He also shares his experiences at stops along his career that spans from Mike’s Hard Lemonade to Popchips among others.
Barnett also shares advice on how to get more creativity out of your digital efforts and how experience is a big part of the brands he manages to this day.
Highlights from this week’s Marketing Today:
- 01:30 – Russell Barnett discusses how he got his start in his marketing career.
- 08:06 – What did advertising teach Russell?
- 08:53 – How did Russell get involved with Mike’s Hard Lemonade?
- 12:24 – What was Russell’s experience like with Popchips and plant-based foods?
- 18:37 – You have to be happy about what you put in your body.
- 20:00 – What are the elements that make up the brand at My/Mo Mochi Ice Cream?
- 25:19 – How did My/Mo Mochi keep the product accessible?
- 29:06 – What advice would Russell give to investors?
- 31:59 – Lean in on the experience and create intimate moments with your small brand.
- 36:12 – What does ‘be more creative than the digital domain’ mean?
- 41:44 – Has there been an experience in Russell’s past that made him who he is today?
- 44:05 – What advice would Russell Barnett give to his younger self?
- 26 – Are there things that brands should be doing to be more purposeful?
- 48:17 – What does Russell Barnett see as being the future of marketing?