This week on “Marketing Today,” Alan spoke with Loren Angelo, vice president of marketing for Audi of America, where he leads marketing positioning and management of the Audi brand in the U.S. In addition, he manages advertising, experiential, CRM, social media, product integration, retail marketing, and research strategies for the carmaker.
In the course of their discussion, Angelo touched on the factors that led him to Audi, what it means to him to work for a challenger brand that believes in purpose-led marketing, and the thinking behind the relationships Audi fosters with its partners.
And he cited principled authenticity and like-mindedness as being key in a brand’s relationship with its consumers. “Consumers look for brands that share their values,” said Angelo. “And if your values are consistent, and you’re willing to go out on a limb and defend those values and build a conversation around them, consumers are going to be, as the studies clearly show, more attracted to that brand.” Angelo went on to add, “So I believe that is going to be a key differentiator for brands that are willing to take the brave note and stick up for what they believe in.”
Highlights from this week’s “Marketing Today” podcast include:
- Angelo’s work with automotive brands on the agency side led to his opportunity at Audi. (1:14)
- Angelo’s take on leading a challenger brand: “I think it’s one of the best opportunities in any marketer’s career.” (3:14)
- Audi actively promotes the growth of women in business, film and entertainment, with a focus on pay equity. (6:28)
- Angelo discusses his strong belief in purpose-led marketing. (9:20)
- An association with another challenger brand: Audi identified a cultural opportunity in forming its partnership with Major League Soccer. (12:00)
- Audi has always been a brand that wants to enhance and celebrate the driver’s experience while not turning its back on technology. (16:08)
- Angelo on Audi’s leadership and partnerships in the AI space. (21:00)
- A combination of personal tenacity and finding the right mentors have had a defining influence on Angelo’s career. (25:22)
- Audi “Driver” Advertisement – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2B7U3WO9oA
- Audi & AFI Support More Female Directors – http://blog.afi.com/audi-and-afi-support-female-filmmakers-watch-video/
- Audi – Defining Progress: Jamie Anderson film – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jH-RVZg9aLw
- Audi “Daughter” Super Bowl Commercial 2017 – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iksaFG6wqM